Monday, March 26, 2012

Progress...

I keep forgetting to update my blog, but I have been working on my project. I'm trying to get my IRB proposal in by the end of this week so I have been researching questions and procedures and talking to teachers for input. So far I've found my music adviser and written a rough draft of my topic for my proposal. I've included it below.

This project will explore the link between music and learning in a university setting. The purpose of this project is to find if there is a correlation between student performance in music classes and their performance in their general education classes.
In order to complete this project, I will be conducting a survey on students who are taking or have taken music classes at UVU. This will include both questions about personal experience in music classes as compared to their general education classes, as well as questions as to their performance i.e. grades, teacher feedback, etc.
I will be using both qualitative and quantitative methods to research this topic. Measured performance from grades and test scores will be identified and compared. There will also be a portion of the study that includes interviews about personal experiences in these classes and any advantages or disadvantages they perceived from taking these classes.

I've also come up with a rough timeline for completing my project:

March 29th – Submit IRB Proposal
March 30th - May 1st - Additional Research
May 9th-23rd – Data Collection
May 23rd – June 6th – Data Analysis
June 6th – 20th – Write up findings and conclusions

2 comments:

  1. Ok Rachel,

    This looks doable. Good. One section to schedule even more precisely will be the Data Collection segment of your research. Lay out everything you will need to have set up in advance--subject pool? place where collecting info? time frame for each? any permissions needed to use facilities, etc? If you have your protocol for the survey well set up and everything set to go, it will go more smoothly. It can be disheartening to find you're having a hard time getting the subjects you need for whatever reasons. Knowing you have the methodology ironed out in advance will be a big help. Good work, keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you are moving forward with this and getting IRB approval. That is a source of delay for many students, so I am glad you are already on it.

    I would like to see work on your annotated bibliography move forward as well. I am curious what other research may have been done in these areas. I would work the bibliography and the literature review into your timeline.

    Good progress.

    ReplyDelete