Sunday, February 5, 2012

Assignment 2 - Rewrite

As I read through the comments from my first assignment and as I began to think about my project more, I realized that doing child research may be too lofty a goal for this particular project. Instead, I think I'll focus my research on college students. There are a few reasons for this decision. First, it should be easier to get IRB approval with college students than with elementary school children. Second, information such as grades and classes taken is already codified for me. Third, I can possibly use the internet to disperse surveys for a quicker turn around.

Now that I've decided to change the age range of subjects, I need to focus on what exactly I want to study. As I stated in my last post, I want to study the effect of music on learning. There are many ways music is used though. People listen to music while they're studying, which may have an effect on learning. Do different types of music help them learn more efficiently? Also, many students take music classes who aren't music majors. Do these classes help them perform better in their chosen fields of study? Then, there are the students who are music majors. Do they perform better or worse on average than other students in subjects such as math, science, and English? I think this is where I need to narrow down my field a little more and focus on just one of these and leave the rest for another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment